The Environmental Working Group has several really great resources on their website that are VERY useful in helping you clean up your food and water choices, as well as your household and personal products. Below I have summarized several favorites that go along perfectly with my 3-week Jump Start Your Health Plan!
- Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce which are updated lists called the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen that tell you pesticide levels and thus helps you prioritize which foods are most important to buy organic.
- Dirty Dozen guide to food additives that may cause health problems
- Consumer Guide to Seafood tells us which fish are high in Omega-3 fatty acids, from sustainable sources, and lowest in mercury. There is also a calculator you can input your personal information in to help you determine your recommended weekly seafood intake.
- Water Filter buying guide to help you choose what type of filter is best.
- Skin Deep Guide to Cosmetics lets you search for all of your personal care products and gives a hazard score based on ingredients in the product. Examples of things you can search include: sunscreens, hair products, nail products, make-up, soap, fragrances, and many others. Skin Deep is also available as an app on your smart phone.
- Dirty Dozen Guide to Endocrine Disruptors provides a list of hormone altering chemicals and how to avoid them.